Even if they’ve never used a lawyer’s services before, many older people (regardless of income) can benefit from the assistance of a lawyer trained in Elder Law.
Elder Law attorneys can help with:
- Retirement planning
- Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid issues
- Wills, trusts, and estate planning
- Competency and Guardianship issues
- Long term care insurance
- Long term care planning
- Advance directives (health care proxy, living wills, etc.)
It is important to plan for the future, make sure your wishes are respected, and protect yourself and your assets. Many of the agencies listed here offer reduced cost or “pro bono” (free) services for seniors.
For some kinds of dispute resolution, such as landlord/tenant disputes or consumer complaints, mediation services can be a good alternative to a lawyer. There are many agencies with professionally trained staff who offer reduced cost or “pro bono” mediation services.
Agencies serving Brookline Elders:
Brookline Legal Assistance Bureau (BLAB)
Brookline Council on Aging
93 Winchester Street, Brookline, MA 02446
MetroWest Legal Services
- Local attorneys are available one morning a month (currently the first Wednesday) at the Brookline Senior Center to offer individuals expertise on matters of law as well as information and referral.
- There is no charge for this service and no appointment is necessary.
- The Council on Aging also has a list of local attorneys who serve elderly clients. For information, please call 617-730-2777.
63 Fountain Street, Suite 304, Framingham, MA
508-620-1830 or 800-696-1501
Community Legal Services and Counseling Center
- Free legal services for Brookline, Belmont, Needham, Newton, Waltham, Watertown, Wellesley and Weston seniors 60 and older.
One West Street, Cambridge, MA
Disability Law Center
11 Beacon Street, Suite 925, Boston, MA
Greater Boston Legal Services
- Provides legal advocacy and assistance to disabled Massachusetts residents with disability related problems. DLC does not provide assistance with general legal issues such as divorce or estate planning.
197 Friend Street, Boston, MA
Jewish Family and Children’s Services/ Bet Tzedek
- Provides legal services to low income individuals and families.
Legal Advocacy and Resource Center (LARC)
- Access to free civil legal services for low income individuals throughout Greater Boston
- Jewish Family and Children’s Services/ Bet Tzedek (continued)
- Bet Tzedek Pro Bono Legal Services for low-income clients handles a variety of practice areas, including Housing, Family Law, Public Benefits, Consumer Law, Domestic Violence, Elder Law, and Probate Law.
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services does not handle criminal matters, malpractice claims, or personal injury cases. They also provide services for SNAP issues.
617-603-1700 or 1-800-342-LAWS (5297) (hotlines)
Massachusetts Legal Helpline
- Telephone information and referral service.
Shelter Legal Services Foundation
- Free information and referral services for Massachusetts Seniors
885 Centre Street, Newton, MA
Women’s Bar Foundation Elder Law Project
- Provides free legal assistance to homeless and low income individuals.
617-651-2357 (intake line)
- Free legal assistance for low income seniors to have an attorney write up a will, health care proxy or power of attorney. You must be income and asset eligible.
Attorney General’s Elder Hotline
Community Dispute Settlement Center, Inc.
- Staffed by senior volunteers who provide information and dispute resolution around a variety of topics including: consumer complaints, debt collection practices, health insurance, home improvement, and telemarketing.
60 Gore Street, Suite 202, Cambridge, MA
Metropolitan Mediation Services
- Professionally trained mediators provide an alternative way to resolve conflicts. Mediators can provide assistance around issues involving family conflicts related to elder care, housing and neighborhood conflicts, workplace conflicts, divorce/separation, and consumer/commercial disputes.
- Services are confidential and cost is determined on a sliding scale (based an individual’s income).
Brookline Center for Community Mental Health
Newton-Brookline Consumer Office
- Free professional mediation services around family matters, neighborhood disputes, inter-business conflicts, workplace conflicts, health care provider/client conflicts.
- Referrals for assistance are accepted from individuals, courts, or other community agencies.
- Provides professional mediation services via telephone to consumers who have a dispute with a Massachusetts business.
- All services are confidential and free of charge.
- Office works in cooperation with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office.
Attorneys (alphabetical order)
Danger Law, LLC
60 Austin Street, Suite 210, Newtonville, MA 02460
Israel Van Kooy & Day LLC
1318 Beacon St. Suite 19, Brookline MA 02446
Lannik Law LLC
1320 Centre St, Suite 305, Newton MA 02458
Wade Horowitz LaPointe LLC
1309 Beacon St. 2nd floor, Brookline, MA 02446
- Practice includes legal planning for LGBT+ individuals and families.